A Guide to Visiting Barcelona in April | Attractions, Events & More
Barcelona is the largest city in Catalonia and a popular tourist destination throughout the year. Known for its Gothic architecture, this beachside city is rich in cultural, historical, and art places that you can explore. You can watch a Flamenco show, walk around the Old Quarter, go on a culinary tour, or spend time on the sun-kissed beaches. Barcelona in April is a magical experience as the spring bloom is in the air and the weather is warm and pleasant for exploring around. Read on to know more about what you can do and how to enjoy your trip to Barcelona in April.
Is April a Good Time to Visit Barcelona?
Barcelona in April is a visual treat for the visitors. Since it is the beginning of the tourist season in Barcelona, you can enjoy the warm weather and explore the beautiful attractions with fewer tourists in the city.
Why You Should Visit
- Barcelona in April brings warm and pleasant weather which makes exploring the city fun.
- The average temperature is around 16℃.
- There is an average of 6 hours of sunshine available in April so you have sufficient time to visit the amazing attractions here.
- Since it is just before the tourist season, you can enjoy the attractions at lower costs and with fewer crowds.
- Celebrate Sant Jordi’s Day along with other fun events and festivals in Barcelona in April.
What to Look Out For
- The average minimum temperature in Barcelona is around 7℃ which can be slightly cold for a few tourists.
- It can be too cold to swim in the sea.
- You will need to walk around in a coat a lot to keep yourself warm in Barcelona in April.
- There is a higher chance of rain in April in Barcelona in comparison to the other months.
Overview of Weather in Barcelona in April
More About Weather in Barcelona in April
How hot is Barcelona in April?
Barcelona in April is pleasantly warm with daily average temperatures around 16℃. The highs can be around 18℃ - 20℃ while the lows can reach 4℃ at night. Make sure you pack warm clothes for the evening strolls in April.
Can You Swim at Beaches in Barcelona in April?
The sea is quite cold for swimming in Barcelona in April. The average temperature of the sea is approximately 15℃ at this time.
Does it rain in Barcelona in April?
Yes, this is the month that receives the most rainfall in Barcelona with the average rainfall being around 51mm. There are chances of rain on 10-15 days but snow is unlikely during this month.
Is Barcelona Windy in April?
No, the typical wind speed in Barcelona in April is 7mph.
10 Best Things to do in Barcelona in April
7. Take a Barcelona Food Tour
One of the top things to do in Barcelona in April is to join a food tour and enjoy the local Spanish cuisine. April is the best time as the markets have all the fresh produce and several dishes such as Pisto, Gazpacho, etc. can be found being served in the restaurants.
8. Watch a Flamenco Show
Of course, when you are visiting Barcelona, you have to watch a Flamenco show. This amazing dance performance involves fast dancers, swift movements, and a lot of emotions. Sip on a glass of wine and enjoy this traditional Spanish dance in Barcelona!
Festivals in Barcelona in April
Sant Jordi Day
Date: April 23
Sant Jordi Day is equivalent to Valentine’s Day and is a celebration of Saint Jordi, the patron saint of this region. On this day, the Catalans show their affection by exchanging gifts such as books and roses with their loved ones. You will find local bookstores giving special offers on the books and a few best authors even arriving at the site which makes this day all the more fun.
Easter and Holy Week
Date: April 10 – April 16
Although Easter is a solemn affair in Barcelona, unlike other cities in Spain, it is still a good way to observe the local traditions of this region. You can watch a few parades around the historic city center and processions taking place throughout the week. Bakeries also serve traditional Easter treats such as chocolate eggs, ‘Mona de Pascua’ cakes, and more. Most shops tend to stay closed on Easter Sunday and Monday so, plan your trip accordingly.
Events in Barcelona in April
Barcelona Earth Day Fair
Venues: Ciutadella Park and Passeig Lluís Companys
One of the biggest events held in Catalonia to celebrate Earth Day, Barcelona Earth Day Fair is held every year since 1996. The Fira de la Terra features many amazing stalls that serve local food and products. There are also concerts, performances, and events to attend here. The main aim of this fair is to promote the protection of this planet through eco-friendly measures.
Know Before You Visit Barcelona in April
Time Zone: GMT +2
Currency: Euro EUR - €
Country code: +34
Emergency numbers: 112
What to Wear in Barcelona in April
- Make sure to carry jackets, light sweaters, coats, and scarves to wear at night when it is slightly chilly. Layer your clothing.
- During the day, you can wear shorts, skirts, and trousers as it will be warm then.
- Since there are higher chances of rain in Barcelona in April, do carry a raincoat as well.
- It can be really sunny in Barcelona in April so, do wear sunglasses, a hat, and use sunscreen.
What to Pack in Barcelona in April
- Power Adapter: A type F plug (grounded) or a type C plug (non-grounded).
- Clothes: Shorts, trousers, skirts, light jackets, coats, and sweaters. Wear clothes in layers so you can remove them when it is hot and can add a jacket/coat if you feel cold.
- Carry a pair of comfortable shoes as you would be walking a lot.
- Don’t forget to carry an umbrella as there are high chances of rain in Barcelona in April.
Getting Around Barcelona in April
By Metro: Barcelona metro is one of the best ways to travel around the city as it has an extensive network. You can use the eight lines and 161 stations to reach most destinations in Barcelona. Metro map.
By Bus: There are over 200 bus lines running late in the night that you can use to reach your desired destination in the city. City bus map.
By Cable Car (Funicular): Make use of the three cable car lines in Barcelona that you can hop onto and enjoy majestic views of the city. Two of these cable car lines reach Tibidabo and Montjuïc.
On Foot: You can also explore Barcelona on foot in April as the weather is pleasant at this time. Many popular attractions are in close proximity to each other.
Where to Stay in Barcelona in April
Barcelona has all kinds of accommodation for every kind of traveler, right from the discerning luxury traveler to the globe-trotting backpacker. Here is a list of the best of all:
Luxury Hotels: W Barcelona, Hotel Arts Barcelona, Grand Hotel Central, Sofia, Hotel The Serras, Mercer Hotel Barcelona, Almanac Barcelona.
Mid-Range Hotels: Murmuri Residence Mercader, Hotel Cuatro Naciones, Mayerling Schumann Barcelona.
Budget Hotels: Mediterranean Youth Hostel, Fabrizzio’s Petit, Itaca Hostel, Hostel One Sants, Casa Gracia Barcelona Hostel, Black Swan, Bed & Bike Barcelona, Generator Barcelona, Hotel Jazz, Hotel Rec Barcelona, Hotel Europark.
What to Eat in Barcelona in April
Explore some of these quintessential dishes for a wholesome culinary experience in Barcelona in April!
Paella: Considered to be Spain’s national dish, Paella is amazing seafood and saffron-infused rice dish. It is a major dish in Spanish cuisine and can be found in all food joints in Barcelona.
Croquettes: Croquettes are a Spanish staple that will leave you full and happy every time you eat them. It is basically a cheese roll with meat and vegetables.
Gazpacho: Chilled Gazpacho soup is made from fresh tomato and cucumber and includes herbs and spices to give it a tangy yet delicious flavor.
Pisto: Pisto is a spring appetizer that you must try in Barcelona. It is made from seasonal vegetables such as bell peppers and is served with chorizo or fried eggs.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Barcelona in April
- Barcelona in April is perfect as you can enjoy lower costs and fewer crowds around the attractions.
- Make sure you cover your hands and knees when visiting the churches in Barcelona.
- Since April is the spring season in Barcelona, make sure you visit the public parks to watch the blooming flowers.
- The weather in Barcelona in April is warm and pleasant, making it the perfect time to enjoy walks around the city.
- The water is slightly cold in April so it is not the ideal time to go swimming in the ocean.
- Do carry an umbrella as April receives the most rainfall in Barcelona.
- Wear layers of clothing so that you are comfortable in both warm and cold temperatures.
- Adhere to the dress code for nightclubs if you wish to visit and party in Barcelona.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Barcelona in April
Yes, Barcelona in April features warm and pleasant weather and fewer tourists around the attractions.
The average temperature in Barcelona in April ranges between a high of 18℃ and a low of 4℃.
The weather in Barcelona in April is warm and pleasant. The temperature varies between a high of 18℃ and a low of 4℃.
The water temperature in Barcelona in April is generally cool with an average of 15℃. If you are okay with swimming in cold water, then go for it.
Yes, it is sunny in Barcelona on most of the days but there are high chances of rainfall in April.
Since it will be warm during the day, you can wear cotton clothes such as shorts, skirts, trousers, etc. during the daytime. Make sure you carry a light jacket or coat to wear at night when it becomes slightly cold.
Yes, there are high chances of rain in Barcelona in April.
Barcelona in April is inexpensive as it is the off-season. You can get amazing discounts and deals on flights, hotel fares, and more. Moreover, you can book your trip in advance to get better discounts.
Barcelona is a relatively safe city for tourists to explore. However, be careful of pickpockets and thieves in the crowds.
There are many attractions to visit in Barcelona in April such as Park Guell, Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, and more. Plus, there would be fewer crowds in April at most of these attractions.
Feria De Abril and Trofeo Conde de Godó de Tenis are a few of the major events to attend in Barcelona in April.
The average high in Barcelona in April is 16℃ while the average low is 7℃.
You can take your kids to the museums in Barcelona to learn more about the history and culture of the city. For a fun time, take kids on a food tour or a hike around Barcelona in April.
Sant Jordi Day and Easter are two major festivals to celebrate in Barcelona in April.