A Guide to Visiting Barcelona in February | Attractions, Events & More
The seaside city of Barcelona is the perfect holiday destination for people from across the world. Its stunning architecture, dazzling nightlife, delicious food, and memorable landmarks make it a thoroughly enjoyable city to visit and explore.
Visiting Barcelona in various months will offer a different experience. This guide will go into detail on the things to look out for and do in the month of February.
Is February a good time to visit Barcelona?
February is one of the coldest months of the year in Barcelona, which means there are very few tourists. Temperatures, however, are not too low, ranging around 15℃ which is great for walking around town.
Why you should visit
- Crowds are much lesser in February since it is right after the holiday season.
- Landmarks have fewer tourists, allowing you to explore them better.
- Hotels are easily available and can be booked at excellent prices.
- It's a great time of the year to explore Barcelona outdoors.
What to look out for
- The weather may be a little too cold for some guests, especially at night.
- The sea is quite cold, and swimming in the water may not be possible.
- Since the sun will be setting earlier in the day and the days are shorter, you will need to start exploring earlier in the day.
Overview of Weather in Barcelona in February
More About Weather in Barcelona in February
How hot is Barcelona in February?
Barcelona’s weather is still cool in February. Winter is ending, and the average high temperature is about 13 to 15℃, while the average low is about 8 to 9℃.
Can you Swim at Beaches in Barcelona in February?
Although known for its beaches, the water can be too cold in February. The average temperature of the water is about 13℃, making it too cold for a swim.
Does it rain in Barcelona in February?
The chances of rainfall are high for about 4 to 6 days in February. Cloud cover, however, is very less, and you will get a chance to see crisp blue skies and warm sunshine. Although this is the most likely month to experience snow, the chance is still quite low.
Is Barcelona windy in February?
There is a constant low moderate breeze throughout February, with speeds reaching 7 miles an hour.
Top 12 Things to do in Barcelona in February
9. Take a hike
Nature & Adventure
A hike on the hills around Barcelona is a fun experience in February. The cool weather and stunning views make this a must-try experience, especially for those who enjoy being outdoors.
11. Watch a Flamenco Show
Dating back ages, this Flamenco performance is a combination of unique dance steps, flamenco guitar playing, and magnificent costumes. Unwind with a glass of wine and experience a classic Spanish dance in all its glory!
February Timings: Daily from 5:00 PM to 10:30 PM
12. Stroll through Plaça d’Espanya
Plaça de Espanya is one of the most influential squares in the city. Apart from acting as a backbone for the city's roads, the famous square also comes with spectacular views of Barcelona and features an elegant fountain in the center.
Festivals in Barcelona in February
Events in Barcelona in February
World Mobile Congress
Venue: Fira de Barcelona Gran Via, Barcelona
Dates: 28 February – 03 March
Held between February 28th and March 3rd, this event brings together device manufacturers and network equipment providers. For tech lovers, this is the perfect event to learn about the latest innovations in network and mobile technology.
Dates: February 14
Barcelona is a great romantic destination to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your partner. Enjoy some delicious Spanish food at a restaurant, take a cable car ride up Montjuic, or enjoy a flamenco show for a fun-filled day.
Know Before You Visit Barcelona in February
Time Zone: GMT +2
Currency: Euro EUR - €
Country code: +34
Emergency numbers: 112
What to Wear in Barcelona in February
- A warm jacket, along with a sweater and scarf is perfect for the cold weather.
- Bring along a good pair of walking shoes, since you will be walking quite a bit around town.
- If you generally feel cold, be sure to carry multiple layers to keep you warm.
What to Pack in Barcelona in February
- The weather in February can get quite cold. If you're typically not comfortable with the cold; pack warm clothes like sweaters and coats.
- February nights can get chilly. Be prepared with gloves, ear muffs, and head caps.
- The weather during the day is pleasant and optimal for exploring Barcelona. Although unlikely, you might need sunscreen.
- Be sure to bring along an umbrella, since there might be an odd shower.
- Sunglasses are also a must since the sun can be low and bright.
Getting Around Barcelona in February
By Bus: There are over 200 lines that run late into the night, making bus transport convenient and cost effective. City bus map.
By Metro: Barcelona also had an excellent metro railway network with 8 lines and 161 stations. This is the fastest way around the city. Metro map.
By Cable car: There are three cable car lines in Barcelona, where you can catch some stunning views of the city. Two of these lines reach Tibidabo, while the other goes to Montjuic.
By Foot: Exploring the city by foot is a great option in February due to the cool weather. Most of the famous attractions are located close to each other.
Where to Stay in Barcelona in February
Frequented by throngs of tourists from around the world, Barcelona has a great selection of hotels to choose from. Select your accommodation on what suits best for you.
Budget: Hotel Oasis, Violeta Boutique, Hostal Boqueria.
Mid Range: Mayerling Schumann Barcelona, Murmuri Residence Mercader
Luxury: Grand Hotel Central, Soho House, Mercer Hotel
What to Eat in Barcelona in February
Relish gob-smacking Spanish delicacies right at home in Barcelona. Taste these authentic Catalan dishes and many more all across town.
Calçotada: Barcelona enjoys the peak of calçot season in February. Similar to a spring onion but only much sweeter, calçots are one of the most prized regional crops from Barcelona.
Paella: This iconic rice and seafood dish actually originates from Valencia. It is considered Spain’s national dish and is found in every corner of the country.
Escalivada: This dish is made with grilling eggplant and red peppers over an open wood fire and serving them on toasted bread with lashings of quality olive oil, garlic, salt.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Barcelona in February
- Carry multiple layers of clothing so you can enjoy the cold weather in February.
- Swimming in the water may not be possible tin February, since the water temperature can be as low as 13℃
- Be sure to carry an umbrella with you, since there may be light showers in February.
- Note that certain restaurants and nightclubs may have a dress code.
- Petty crimes in Barcelona are quite common, so be aware of your possessions, particularly on public transport.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Barcelona in February
Yes, Barcelona has cool and pleasant weather with very few tourists in February.
The average temperature in Barcelona ranges between 15℃ and 8℃.
Barcelona is typically pleasant and cool during February, and ranges between 15℃ and 8℃.
The water temperature is quite cold in February, due to the cooler weather. And if you are okay swimming in cold water, then you can try swimming in the beach.
Yes, it is fairly sunny in Barcelona in February.
Be sure to layer your clothes since it can get quite chilly in the evenings and night.
There is a high chance of rain for about 5-6 days in the month of February.
Since February is the off-season, Barcelona is quite budget friendly. Airfare and hotel tickets are lower than the rest of the year if you book it in advance.
Barcelona is safe for tourists. However, petty thievery such as pickpocketing is quite common.
You can visit the famous Gaudi attractions such as the Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, and other museums during February.
The major event in February is the Santa Eulalia Festival and Barcelona Carnival.
The average temperature in Barcelona ranges between 15℃ and 8℃.
The museums are a great place for kids to visit and learn about Barcelona’s history and culture.
Chinse New Year is one of the major festivals in Barcelona in February that is celebrated with pomp and splendour!