A Guide to Visiting Barcelona in May 2022 | Attractions, Events & More
Rich in heritage and culture, Barcelona is a beautiful seaside city that is one of the famous tourist destinations in the world. Every year, millions of tourists visit the city to explore the museums, its architecture, beaches, nightlife, and culture. A trip to Barcelona is quite unique, regardless of which month you choose to visit. But if you are planning to visit Barcelona in May, then this guide will tell you top things to do in Barcelona, where to stay, what to eat, and more. Read on to find out what to expect in Barcelona in May!
Is May a Good Time to Visit Barcelona?
Barcelona in May is the start of the summer and the tourist season. You can not only enjoy sightseeing but also attend concerts, events, and chill on the beach.
Why You Should Visit
- The weather in Barcelona is warm and balmy due to the onset of the summer season.
- You can enjoy outdoor activities such as heritage walks, hikes, water sports, and more in May.
- There are many music events, live performances, and outdoor parties to attend in Barcelona in May.
- You will find lots of exotic food and beverages to try.
- This is the perfect time to enjoy the water and the beach as the sea temperature is perfect for swimming.
What to Look Out For
- There will be more tourists since it is the peak season to visit Barcelona.
- Most of the attractions and events will be crowded.
- The prices of flights, hotels, activities, etc. will be on the higher side.
- It is sunny so it can be slightly hot during the daytime.
Overview of Weather in Barcelona in May
More About Weather in Barcelona in May
How hot is Barcelona in May?
Barcelona in May offers the best weather to explore this beachside city. With the summer setting in, the average temperature high is 23℃ and the average temperature low is 15℃.
Can You Swim at Beaches in Barcelona in May?
Barcelona is famous for its beaches and summer is the best time to enjoy your time in the water. The average sea temperature in Barcelona in May is 20℃ which is ideal for swimming.
Does it rain in Barcelona in May?
The chance of rainfall is high for nine days in May but the rest of the days will experience clear, sunny skies. Fog and snow are highly unlikely in Barcelona in May.
Is Barcelona Windy in May?
A light breeze blows through Barcelona from the north with average wind speeds of around 6.5mph, which is not at all windy.
12 Best Things to do in Barcelona in May
7. Watch a Flamenco Show
A visit to Barcelona is incomplete without watching the stunning Flamenco traditional dance of Spain. This dance performance involves intricate dance moves, elaborate costumes, and the use of Flamenco guitar. Make sure you don’t miss out on this traditional Spanish dance on your visit to Barcelona in May.
10. Enjoy a Hiking Tour
Nature & Adventure
If you wish to spend time in nature, then you should check out the hiking trails around Barcelona in May. The weather is warm and the skies are clear so, you will be able to admire the stunning views from these hikes.
Festivals in Barcelona in May
Events in Barcelona in May
Know Before You Visit Barcelona in May
Time Zone: GMT +2
Currency: Euro EUR - €
Country code: +34
Emergency numbers: 112
What to Wear in Barcelona in May
- Carry a light jacket or stole for the evenings when it is slightly cooler.
- Wear summer clothes that are comfortable and won’t make you sweat, preferably made from cotton.
- Wear shorts, skirts, tees, etc. during the day as it will be quite hot, carry lots of sunscreen.
- Carry outdoor summer accessories such as hats, sunglasses, flip flops, scarves, and windcheater jackets to wear during the day.
- Pack your swimming or beach wear if you are planning to spend a lot of time on the beaches in Barcelona.
What to Pack in Barcelona in May
- Power Adapter: A type F plug (grounded) or a type C plug (non-grounded).
- Clothes: Shorts, trousers, skirts, light jackets, and a stole/scarf. Wear a windcheater jacket in the day to protect yourself from the wind or the sun.
- Carry a pair of comfortable shoes as you would be walking a lot.
- Pack summer accessories such as a hat, sunglasses, etc., and sunscreen to protect yourself under the clear, sunny skies.
- Also, pack a day pack that you can use to carry around your belongings when you explore the city.
Getting Around Barcelona in May
By Metro: Barcelona metro is one of the best ways to travel around the city as it has an extensive network and most runs underground. You can use the eight lines and 161 stations to reach most destinations in Barcelona. Metro map.
By Bus: Explore Barcelona by bus is extremely cost-effective. There are over 200 bus lines running late in the night that you can use to reach your desired destination in the city. City bus map.
By Cable Car (Funicular): Make use of the three cable car lines in Barcelona that you can hop onto and enjoy majestic views of the city. Two of these cable car lines reach Tibidabo while the other takes you to Montjuïc.
On Foot: You can also explore Barcelona on foot in May as the weather is warm and pleasant at this time. Many popular attractions are located close to each other.
Where to Stay in Barcelona in May
Discover the wide range of accommodation options in the magical city of Barcelona. Barcelona has something for every kind of traveler! Choose from comfortable budget hotels or opulent luxury stays depending on the type of trip you're planning to have.
Luxury Hotels: Majestic Hotel & Spa Barcelona GL, Hotel Arts Barcelona, Mandarin Oriental Barcelona, Le Meridien Barcelona.
Mid-Range Hotels: Hotel Passeig de Gracia, Hotel Curious, SmartRoom Hotel, ibis Barcelona Meridiana.
Budget Hotels: Hotel Monegal, The Corner Hotel, Violeta Boutique, Rodamón Barcelona Hostel, Hostal Mont Thabor, Yeah Barcelona Hostel
What to Eat in Barcelona in May
Paella: Paella is the national dish of Spain and is made from seafood, meat, and rice, and is the perfect dish to enjoy in Barcelona in May.
Bombas: A bomba is a potato croquette and is one of the top foods to try in Barcelona in May. It is served with two sauces – a white garlic sauce and a spicy red sauce.
Esqueixada: Another popular summertime Catalan dish to try in Barcelona is Esqueixada. This dish is made from several ingredients such as olive oil, onions, tomatoes, vinegar, salt, and dried fish.
Escalivada: Escalivada is baked in embers of woodfire. It is made from bell peppers, olive oil, and eggplant. This dish is generally served with anchovies and toasted bread.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Barcelona in May
- Barcelona in May offers the perfect weather for sightseeing and outdoor activities.
- Make sure you cover your hands and knees when visiting the churches in Barcelona.
- Since the weather in Barcelona in May is warm, pack light cotton summer clothes such as skirts, dresses, and capris.
- This is the perfect time to spend hours on the beach so, keep sufficient time in your itinerary to enjoy the Barcelona beaches.
- If you are going to be swimming or chilling on the beach a lot, then carry your beachwear and plenty of sunscreen.
- Most shops are closed on Sundays in Barcelona so keep your shopping plans for another day of the week.
- The best way to explore the streets of Barcelona and indulge in Spanish culture is by taking long strolls throughout the city.
- Adhere to the dress code for nightclubs if you wish to visit and party in Barcelona.
- Remember to check the event and performances schedule and if there is an entrance fee to attend them.
- Book your flights, hotels, and activities in advance as this is one of the busiest months to visit Barcelona.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Barcelona in May
Yes, Barcelona in May offers the perfect weather for sightseeing, hiking, and enjoying outdoor activities in the city.
It is warm in Barcelona in May with the average temperature ranging between a high of 25℃ and a low of 15℃.
Barcelona in May is pleasantly warm as it is the onset of summer. Expect temperatures varying between 15℃ and 25℃ in this month.
Yes, the sea is perfectly warm with a temperature of 20℃ which makes it ideal for swimming and enjoying other water sports.
Yes, the summer season in Barcelona is sunny and clear for the majority of the days.
Since Barcelona in May offers warm weather, it is recommended to get summer attire. Pack cotton dresses, skirts, shorts, scarves, and a light jacket to put on in the evening.
You can expect rain for less than 9 days in Barcelona in May.
Yes, Barcelona in May is slightly expensive as it is the start of tourist season and the weather is pleasant. This is why it is recommended to book your flights, hotels, and other activities beforehand to avoid paying high prices for last-minute bookings.
Barcelona is a safe city to visit but there can be pickpockets and thieves in the crowds. So, be careful when attending parties or crowded events in Barcelona.
There are a lot of attractions to visit in Barcelona in May such as Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, Barcelona Aquarium, Montserrat, and more.
A few major events in Barcelona in May that you cannot miss out on are Formula One Spanish Grand Prix and Feria BioCultura.
The average high in Barcelona in May is 23℃ while the average low is 15℃.
Barcelona offers lots of fun activities and attractions to enjoy with your kids too. Take the kids to museums to learn about the local history and culture, go on hikes, enjoy the beaches, or indulge in an outdoor adventure.
Feria de Abril de Catalunya and DocsBarcelona International Documentary Film Festival are a few of the major festivals to attend in Barcelona in May.